Thursday, December 13, 2012

If only I had a brick wall to hit my head against

I have been absent for a few weeks as things aren't going according to plan. Last time I posted, I was very excited to be starting to get colors organised and we should have been very close to laying a slab if not having walls up and a roof on.

If you know much about building you'll know a soil test needs to be completed before starting any building so as to be able to lay the correct foundations. In Townsville most builders quote at a "H" class site so as to pass the savings back to the owners if it comes in at a lower rating. Ours however came back an "E" Class so that means its highly reactive to movement.

Now that isn't generally a problem except our builder has decided to do the dodgy on us and want to charge us an extra $25,000 + to upgrade the foundations. We have given our house plans to other builders and have had a few engineers look at it and they have all independently told us it should be up to $7500 to $10,000 as a very generous quote.

So we have now started to look at getting another house built by some other builders so it looks like we are back to square 1.

Who would have thought people would be so underhanded in business. You sure learn a lot about people when you enter this field. Its hard to walk away from something you really had your heart set on and loved but Im sure that the path that we are going down to find an honest, decent builder will teach us a lot along the way.

So look out in the next month or so as we will be looking at new house plans and opening ourselves up to new ideas that will lead us to the house of our dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Deb, I'm sorry you have hit such a huge stumbling block!
    I hope you find another house plan that sets heart a flutter.

    ReplyDelete